Working Group Changes & Introducing Forums
In September, the NCTC Steering Committee approved a new structure for our Working Groups. Since then, the Steering Committee and NCTC staff have worked diligently to implement the new structure and is we are happy to announce an expanded and more efficient system that allows for more greater participation on a more meaningful level.
The intent is to expand the scope of work that the groups address and more accurately define the role that they play within the organization. A chart of the new structure and a summary of the changes are included below. Changes include:
- Groups will now be known as either a “Working Group” or “Forum.” The primary objective of Working Groups will be to perform functions of the Coalition, while the primary objective of Forums will be to provide NCTC members with a place for discussion, debate and information sharing.
- A new Community Tax Preparation Forum has been established. This group is designed for the discussion of technical aspects of tax preparation, such as TaxWise, volunteer management, etc. Sign up for this group.
- A new Data Collection Working Group has been established. This group was previously a subcommittee of the Scale & Sustainability Working Group, and will be tasked with ensuring that data are able to be collected from tax preparation software and developing the NTA tool. Sign up for this group.
- The Scale & Sustainability Working Group is now a subcommittee of the Community Tax Preparation Forum. This group will meet as necessary to discuss the sustainability of organizations in the community tax preparation and asset building field as well as the field itself.
- The Advocacy Working Group is now two separate groups: the Advocacy & Civic Engagement Forum and the Public Policy & Research Working Group. The former will work on informing advocacy efforts to mobilize the field on behalf of low- and moderate-income families, while the latter will focus on analyzing and developing sound policies that promote the well-being of our clients. Members of this group have already been contacted to join one or both of these new groups.
- The Asset Building Working Group will now be the Asset Building Forum. While the scope and work of the group will not change, the name change will more accurately reflect the work being done.
So, what does this mean for you?
- If you are a member of the Advocacy Working Group, we ask that you visit the Working Group/Forum webpage and sign up for either the Advocacy & Civic Engagement Forum or the Public Policy & Research Working Group (or both!).
- If you are a member of any other Working Group, no action is necessary on your part. Meetings will continue at the same time and date, unless your co-chairs tell you differently.
- If you aren’t a member of a Working Group, sign up for one now! NCTC relies on its members’ participation for a more interactive and meaningful Working Group/Forum experience.
We hope you will enjoy this new structure. It will offer more opportunity for input for our members and lead to deeper and more focused conversations. If you have any questions or concerns about the new structure, please feel free to contact me.
By Dan Fair, Manager of Communications & Member Relations