Six Things to Do Before Tax Season Starts
It’s that time again. Once tax season starts, your time becomes your most valuable (and scarce) asset. Any amount of time wasted means fewer clients served, fewer volunteers trained, or some other inefficiency.
Here are six things to do before tax season starts to make sure you don’t lose a single second:
- Make sure you have your SPEC territory manager’s current contact information – Territory managers can be a great resource for VITA programs. If you haven’t already, make sure yours hasn’t changed and that you have his or her current contact info and keep it readily available.
- Join our listservs – If you’re not on our Tax Roundtable and Site Manager listservs, you’re missing out. By joining, you have access to tax pros just like yourself across the country. If you’ve got a question, it’s the perfect place to get a quick answer. It’s also where we post updates we get from the IRS and TaxWise.
- Bookmark the “Program Tools” section of the NCTC website – The Program Tools section of tax-coalition.org has a treasure chest of materials ready for use. If you need to come up with a marketing flyer, job description, or any materials for tax site use, check there first. There may be a template or sample you can start with.
- Budget and schedule for the 2013 NCTC National Conference – No event will provide a better opportunity for growth than our National Conference in New Orleans. As you finalize your budget and schedule for next year, make sure you’re able to attend!
- Become an NCTC affiliate, get free technical assistance – If you’re not already a paid affiliate, sign up now. Among many other benefits, you’ll get access to unlimited free technical assistance! That means if you’ve got a problem or question, just give us a call and we’ll find the solution for you.
- Prepare to collect client stories – We can’t emphasize this enough: The stories of the families you serve are the best way to demonstrate the importance of VITA, the EITC, and other policies. They resonate with policymakers and funders in a way that statistics can’t. Find out how you can collect client stories by attending our upcoming web seminar.
At NCTC, we’re excited about helping you have another successful tax season. Are there other things our members should be doing to get ready? Let us know in the comments!
By Dan Fair, Manager of Communications & Member Relations